Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold Damage Tips After A Flood
If your home or commercial building recently flooded due to storm damage or some sort of plumbing issues, you're probably unsure of the next step. Not only are you worried about property damage from the water, but you also have to worry about mold in your home or business. Mold can affect indoor air quality, can cause significant property damage and can cause a foul smell that even the best deodorization techniques can't get rid of! Follow these tips if you're dealing with residential or commercial mold.
Get Rid of Moisture
This is the very first step! Before the mold can be properly addressed, as much moisture as possible needs to be removed. If there is standing water, it can be dangerous to walk into your home or commercial property, so please make sure you can safely enter the building or structure.
You just never really know what can be floating around in standing water that can hurt you. For example, electrical wiring. You don't want to endure an electrical shock. Once you know you can safely enter, PROTECT YOURSELF by wearing protective clothing, such as gloves and a face mask.
Hire a Professional
The best thing you can do is leave it to the experts. Rely on a team of professionals to help get your home or business back in tip-top shape. Experts can come in and assess the true extent of the damage and help ensure all of the molds is properly remediated. We promise it could save you a lot of time, money and headaches in the future.
Visit our website today to learn more about mold.
Checking your House for Mold?
Here is an after photo of a case of mold in the kitchen.
There is quite a bit of contradictory advice when it comes to testing for mold in the home; namely, whether it’s a DIY-type job or one that calls for the experts. But as most things are, it’s not a black and white answer. With different circumstances it requires different approaches.
Here are some warning signs..
- Smell. The musty aroma accompanying mold is the only real tell-tale sign that you have a problem. Never had the misfortune of smelling mold? Well, lucky you!
- Allergies. Sneezing, runny nose or sore eyes? Chances are there are some mold lingering in your house.
- Serious health problems, such as damage to internal organs or mental impairment, can be indicative of toxic mold, which is a serious problem. So get figured out fast!
- Visible growth. Seeing mold is iron-clad proof that it exists, but often it’s the mold you can’t see that is most problematic. Mold is always hiding.
- Water problems. If your home has recently been flooded or you’ve suffered leaky pipes, chances are you’re going to have a mold problem. So don't push it off for a tomorrow problem..
Call in the Experts!
Although mold is an everyday problem that may seem to be more irritating than anything else, when toxic mold enters the equation it’s a whole new ball game. If you have the slightest suspicion about mold in your household contact SERVPRO of St. Louis Central Today!
Black Mold on your Ceiling?
Black mold on Ceiling.
If you smell a sour odor in your bathroom, the solution may be above you. The first place that usually develops mold in your household is the bathroom. Few people notice and act on the mold immediately but by the time you do notice it, black mold will look awful, and it may even pose health risks. What do you do when you find it, and is it dangerous? Call SERVPRO!
So.. What causes Mold?
The bathroom is a common place for mold to first develop because most bathrooms have all of the risk factors for mold growth including:
- Water, dampness
- High humidity
- Low air circulation
- Low lighting
What are the Dangers of Black Mold?
Toxic black mold, can release spores as it feeds on organic materials in common household materials like drywall, carpet, insulation or sub-flooring that have been exposed to moisture. But, severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mold health effects can be more dangerous. Often compounded by allergic reaction to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
Remember that while you should handle all mold promptly, health effects from mold exposure is very rare. There’s no need to panic. Plus, simply reducing your humidity and increasing air circulation is usually enough to keep mold from returning.
If you do have a reoccurring mold issue be sure to call the specialists at SERVPRO!
What To Do When You Suspect Mold In Your Home or Office
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of St. Louis Central for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of St. Louis Central specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 314-260-7177
Do You See Signs of Mold In Your Home or Business?
SERVPRO of St. Louis Central can assess your situation and help to remediate your mold problem!
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (314) 260-7177