Great Water Damage Tips
We are well into December and with that comes a elevated risk of water damage due to freezing temperatures that can cause a fatigued water line to burst unexpectedly in your St. Louis home.
Although you just suffered a water damage, there is no need to panic although that will be your first thought. Take a deep breath and give SERVPRO of St. Louis Central and SERVPRO of Bridgeton/Florissant a call and we will get our trained technicians deployed and to the rescue restoring your property to it's preloss condition! Once we arrive on the scene of the damage we can quickly begin the cleanup & remediation of your property. Before we arrive, there are some steps you can take yourself to prevent secondary damage to your property and personal belongings. These steps should only be used if the water damage is caused by a clean water break. If you have suffered damage from sewer, toilet, or other contaminated water sources, stay away from the scene as it may have adverse health effects.
Here are a few tips for what you can do to prevent further water damage to your home, until our trained technicians arrive:
- Shut off the water source if it can be done safely.
- Remove any excess water by mopping or using towels.
- Remove and pop up we upholstery cushions for drying. Do not put cushion covers in washing machine.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- If you have a wet/dry shop vac you can suck up any water that you are able to.
- If water damage is in the ceiling, do not turn on lights or overhead fans. And keep out of rooms where the ceiling is beginning to sag from holding water.
- When in doubt - "Don't" attempt anything! We are in transit and will access what steps need to be taken.
You can trust the team at SERVPRO to handle all your restoration and reconstruction needs by calling (314) 260-7177.